There’s a problem with camper buses and a lot of motor homes, let alone back packing with just a burner for your hot meal needs; fuel. We never gave this a thought as mountain walkers and backpackers. In those days it seemed natural to carry a tiny cooker, a couple of pots and a few simple recipe ideas and ingredients. But, later, when we were looking for a motorhome, a HOME on wheels, it was obvious an oven was a necessity, until a salesman said something that was game changing, he said, “You don’t need an oven, you need to change the way you cook.” Suddenly, selecting the a motor home based on it’s kitchen kit became an irrelevance. We had been set the challenge of cooking on only a hob: and we loved it.
All of our ‘cooking’ posts are meals that are very quick to make and can be adapted by you for the kinds of food you eat. From baking to sushi, after the preparation of the ingredients, you can make these meals inside 15 minutes cooking, plus the boiling of about 2.5 cups of water (with hook up and an electric kettle, this is effectively free).
There are a few rules that we follow:
- We cook for 2 people. If you have a different number of people, you do the maths!
- We eat shell/fish, but mostly we’re veggie. You can add meat and cut up as in no. 4.
- Carbohydrates should be no cook, or very quick cook.
- Slow to cook foods should be cut into 1cm cubes or julienned (thin strips).
- Utensils must earn their keep in the vehicle.
- Meals should be wholefood and intenselytasty. We may be on the road for a long time, so eating well to keep as healthy as possible is essential.
- Brownish meals? Yes, sorry! This is whole food not processed food – see no.6 above.
t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
c = cup
.5c = half a cup
Here you will find – please give us time to post them – pizza, wraps, pies, breads, hearty soups, stir fries, pasta, noodles, sushi and so on and on and on ………
Not a traveller? Maybe this will save you time and money at home!
Weird ideas/substitutions? Yes, maybe, but taste any food about 10 times and you’ll get to like it!
Travel is about discovering things that are new to us. If you discover a quick way of feeding yourself on the road, let us know. We love to gather in ideas and we try to share as much as we can to our wider community. We will always credit you if you give us a great idea.
Here’s to The Fun Of Cooking On The Run.